The deadline for applications for the position as a researcher in marine and coastal lagoon ecology has been extended to 31 January 2018.
One post-graduate researcher position is available at the Foundation IMC International Marine Centre in Oristano, Sardinia, Italy (http://www.fondazioneimc.it/) in the field of sustainable management and conservation of Mediterranean coastal marine and lagoon environments.
We are seeking for a researcher with expertise in ecology of marine organisms and transitional aquatic environments. In particular, the successful candidate will have to evaluate the interactions between ecological processes and human activities in Mediterranean coastal-marine and lagoon environments assessing environmental quality of marine and transitional areas.
DUTIES AND RESPONSABILITIES
The successful applicant will be expected to:
- assess the impacts of fishing and aquaculture activities on marine and coastal lagoon environments;
- monitor and characterize benthic assemblages and fish communities in coastal marine and lagoon environment;
- assess biotic and abiotic factors affecting benthic assemblages.
- MSc degree in marine ecology or related discipline;
- Evidence of at least five years of full-time experience as a researcher or with similar qualifications;
- Qualified at least as a PADI dive master or 3rd degree CMAS;
- Good IT and computing skills, including familiarity with statistical and data handling packages (e.g. R) as well as GIS.
Furthermore, the selected candidate will have proven experience in at least some of the following activities:
- Environmental quality assessment and lagoon production;
- Macro-benthic taxa ID;
- Coastal marine/ transitional waters food web analysis;
- Marine ichtyofauna life history studies;
- Identification of main fish habitats
The researcher is expected to improve the capacity of the institute for conducting relevant research in the field of marine and lagoon conservation and living resource management.
The candidate should have experience, knowledge and vision for the integration and utilization of scientific findings on a practical level. She/he is also expected to be actively involved in writing applications to both national and international funding bodies as well as participating and being in charge of existing projects at IMC. The researcher will contribute to supervise students and interns as well as participating in the IMC outreach activities with students of different ages.
- experience in writing peer-reviewed scientific papers;
- experience in planning and implementing research activities both in the field and in the lab;
- data collection, specifically by scuba diving;
- Fluent in both English and Italian as the main languages spoken at the IMC;
- Evidence of excellent oral and written communication skills (participation in international conferences and congresses)
- An EU accepted and clear driving license
- Boat driving license
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills to be able to communicate with both fishermen and managers
- ability to work both independently and in a team
- Trustworthly, reliable and enthusiastic;
The application must include:
- A letter of motivation
- Curriculum Vitae
- Application Form
- Annex 1
Application form, Annexes and CV must be sent at the email address firstname.lastname@example.org from the 24th of November until the 08th January 2018.
Application form, Annexes and CV must be sent at the email address email@example.com from the 24th of November until the 31st January 2018
For further informations please email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Oristano, Sardinia, Italy
Salary: According to experience
This is a 2 years full-time position
Contract Type: Assegno di Ricerca ai sensi dell’art.22 legge 30 dicembre 2010 n.240
Placed on: 24th November 2017
08th January 2018 31st January 2018